The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Tuesday, November 02, 2004
It's time for something semi-serious...
Before I get off on my jag about politics and the election, let me tell you about my second vacation day.

My goal when I got up was to get all of the laundry (six loads) washed, dried and folded (and hopefully put away). Without honking my own horn too much, I think I did a great job. I got four loads done and folded and a fifth washed, and the wife brought home the final load and a half.

I also returned a cheerleader outfit we bought Lauren from College Station upstairs on the front of the Mall of Georgia. I went in there knowing that I was outside of the 14 day return/exchange period, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

When I told the guy what happened with the skirt (the elastic fell out during the first washing), he said "no problem. I got store credit and exchanged it for another cheerleader outfit and an Auburn hitch cover. See? The guy did the right thing, and his store got another 10 bucks in sales out of me, and I will also recommend them to everyone I know. THAT is how it's supposed to work.

I also returned a cast iron dinner bell that we bought from a company in Virginia. We got it after it had been lost by UPS and destroyed by UPS. We were missing parts and it wouldn't assemble, so I called the guy about it. He said that even though we didn't buy the shipping insurance, he'd take it back and send me a new one. I just had to pay 10 bucks to ship the old one back to him. That's ALSO the way to handle stuff. All in all, it was a good day to be the little guy amongst small businesses.

I got the lawn mowed and edged for the last time until January (I hope) on Sunday, and that helped shake loose some cobwebs from the very long weekend.

We went to playgroup on Monday as well. Of course, it's tough to call it playgroup when it's just Molly, Lauren, Bonnie and Amelia and me, but we called it that anyway. We first went to the new Suwanee library, but that proved boring for Lauren AND me. We shifted to Playtown Suwanee and had a ball. Lauren is heading back down the "I'll try anything" road and Amelia's not old enough not to trust her wierd Uncle Todd, so we all had a great time. You measure how good of a time kids had at that place by how much sand ends up in their socks and their ass cracks. Lauren had half a cup in her socks and twice that in her drawers. That equals big fun.

We had Tsunami Spin chicken on the Egg last night, and it was delightful as usual. I never stop being amazed at how good the Dizzy Pig BBQ products are. We've given away several bottles already to friends we KNOW will like it.

Now, for my one and only election commentary. I am sick and tired of this election year. The entire process has left me jaded and more than a little disappointed.

Like any other hot-button issue (like abortion, gay marriage, etc.), everyone has gone from simply having their own beliefs to trying to force their beliefs upon others. Video footage of some Kerry supporter punching a pro-Shrub guy in the face or some W supporter yanking Kerry signs out of yards would be laughable if it weren't so un-American.

Our society has been heading in a bad direction on this. It's not enough that we don't all agree. Now folks are taking it upon themselves to "assist" in my re-education. As if this were George Orwell's 1984 or Hitler's Germany. Just because we have freedom of speech doesn't make it okay to say anything we want to anyone we want. You can say it does, but it doesn't.

The fact that we have free elections in this country and that every legal citizen has the opportunity to voice their opinion thru those elections is the greatest freedom provided us by our country. To have that tainted because some screaming ass-clown simply cannot accept that I don't have the same belief system as him makes me crazy.

We have even had some of this vandalism and sign-stealing in our neighborhood. I refuse to put political signs on my car or in my yard for the same reason that I don't talk about politics with anyone but my wife...because it's no one else's fucking business. Anyone that would care or would base our friendship upon who I voted for or what referrendum I supported isn't really my friend anyway.

The other reason I don't seriously talk politics with anyone except my wife is the same reason I don't seriously talk religion with anyone else: because I'm not going to change their minds any more than they will change mine. All that can happen is both parties can go away frustrated, mad, or both.

If you want to talk politics with someone that you know agrees with you...fine. But the other freedom we all have in this country is to keep our damned mouths shut. It's a pity more folks don't exercise that right this time of year.

p.s. I can't wait until tomorrow morning so that this whole thing will be over and finished. As my friend John says, regardless of who wins the presidency, you'll still wake up in the morning, the sun will still rise, and your car will still start.

If you are truly worried about what happens around you, pay attention and vote accordingly for school boards, local judge's seats and county commission seats. THOSE are the elections that will change your life on a very real level. And if you're truly unhappy with the direction your community is heading, get involved!!! Either run for office or help someone who does or is going to run. THAT is how you make a difference.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...


4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
ummm. I'm hurt. You used to talk about politics and religion with me. Now you're saving yourself for Molly :( (Just kidding Molly)
-LW

Anonymous Anonymous said...
hola todd, im in 6th period just stopping in


later


-nick

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I especially like this statement....

"But the other freedom we all have in this country is to keep our damned mouths shut."

You should try it some time.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I especially like the comment below...

"But the other freedom we all have in this country is to keep our damned mouths shut."

You ought to try it sometime.