The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Friday, January 07, 2005
Daddy - Daughter Day Update One
So, the day started quietly enough. Lauren got up about 8am (which is late for her) and we were all ready to go. We had the usual discussion about which bee-bee (pacifier...don't ask) was coming downstairs.

We had gotten her weaned down to a couple, but now she's got about 14, and if you try to screw with her by taking one and thinking she won't notice, you'd be wrong. She quickly takes inventory and says "where my new blue bee-bee go?"

See? You can't win. So I figure, she isn't going to kindergarten with them, so what do I care?

By the way, why do we still use that big German word for "the year before first grade?" I mean, haven't we gotten to the point where we can say "grade zero" or something? It's bugged me for a while, but not as bad as montessori. I hate that word. I know it's foreign secret code for "smart kid grade zero," but it still irritates me.

Anywho, we came down for juice and a vitamin (Scooby Doo one-a-days, if you must know), and made a breakfast of toasted bagels. My bagel had peanut butter, and hers was slathered with cream cheese. But not before her daily pat of butter consumption. Don't ask again.

We sat down to the breakfast table with her watching "Higglytown Heroes" and me reading "Retreat, Hell!" by WEB Griffin. She then asked me to read to her, which I did. She seemed to really enjoy two chapters about the Korean Conflict.

Currently, she is on the sofa, covered with her blanket, stuffed piggy by her side, watching "Oswald," the show about an octopus who has the voice of Fred Savage from the Wonder Years. I'm sure it pays and all, but still...it's a long way from Austin Powers and "moley-moley-moley-moley" to this.

I'm hoping to pawn her off on Molly's sister for an hour so I can get a haircut this morning. We'll see how it goes.

More to follow...