The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Thursday, January 13, 2005
I forgot to mention this
Yesterday (the first Wednesday of the month) is birthday cake day in the office. The company buys a good cake (not some grocery sheet cake) and we all get together at 3pm and celebrate everyone in the office's birthday for that month.

(While it was a good idea with 80 employees, now that we've split, I'm certain there'll be a month or two with no birthdays and just some cake, which is fine with me).

Anywho, we were having a lovely time and the carrot cake with cream cheese icing was great, and it came time to leave. I'm not really sure what happened next, but I went to stand up, had my foot somehow under my chair, I turned left, went to step with my right foot, and fell straight to the fucking ground.

Now, I don't mean that I stumbled a bit or that I took a little tumble. It was more like I had been shot. I went straight down, face first and straight legged, and landed flat except for having my arms under me. I was carrying a book and my plate, which apparently saved me from hitting my face on the floor.

Three people ran in to see what had happened, two others asked if I was okay, and one girl (Cathie) was busy laughing too hard to ask.

I was and am fine. Alright, I'm not fine. My knee hurts like shit and I cut my hand on something, but I'm okay. I did make the requisite workman's comp joke though. That's always fun because legal and HR never EVER think that's funny.

(sidebar: We had an employee who filed two separate workman's comp claims after identical falls in the bathroom that were witnessed by no one. She left after that, and is on her second job in less than two years, and she's had unwitnessed falls at both. Can anyone else say insurance fraud)?

So now I'm sitting here wondering, is that what it's like to be 80 and in the shower? One minute you're standing up and the next you're lying on the floor, half wrapped in a shower curtain with a broken hip and wishing you'd have bought that "I've fallen and I can't get up" thingy?

Happy Thursday everyone...