The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Tuesday, April 26, 2005
Pride, Thy name is Algebra
My nephew Parnell (not his real name, but the name his daddy wanted to give him) was struggling in ninth grade algebra. I don't know who to blame for this. Of course, he is to blame. But so is the school system that works to meet artificially set standards.

For example (and strictly hypothetically) here is how it works. A class of 30 kids takes a test, and the average score is a 70. Instead of working on why or what the kids don't get, the kids all get 20 points added to their tests. So, if student A had a 59, he now has a 79. Good for him and his grade, but bad for his mathematical future.

You see, no curve, bonus points or anything else can make up for the fact that a kid doesn't understand what he's doing. And if he doesn't understand what he's doing in 9th grade algebra but is moved along without the skillset, he's handicapped for the rest of his mathematical life. Geometry and Trig and Algebra II all assume that you know most of algebra. If you don't, you're screwed.

Anyway, I started tutoring Parnell this semester. At first, it was a struggle. It was hours of "I get this" and "I've done this" and "why do I have to do this again?"

Eventually, he stopped asking why and started doing math. He has slowly but surely increased his grade thru quizzes and tests. This weekend, he hit the books. Hard. I gave him a lot of work to do Friday night and Saturday night, and his parents were surprised to find him still doing work after midnight Saturday night!! I told him Sunday night that I wanted him to do so well that he would be accused of cheating, and I meant it.

His biggest jump came yesterday, when I was informed that he got a 90 on his test on Chapter 11. This chapter is regarded by the teachers as the toughest to teach and the toughest to learn. All that and Parnell brought home a 90.

I could not be more proud. Math is not easy. Algebra is not easy. High school and being 15 is not easy. But my young Parnell made a decision to succeed and to work to get it done, and he made it happen. He now has only one or two chapters left and a final. I have high but realistic goals, as do his parents.

I will keep you posted...