The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Monday, May 16, 2005
My exciting weekend recap
This weekend was exceptionally excited at Backer Manor. We got quite a bit done and had some fun as well.

Friday, the boss (formerly referred to as PV) said I could go ahead and leave early, which was around 3:15pm. That was very cool. I got home early, knocked out the lawn mowing for the weekend and started on the house cleaning.

That was followed by some cold beers and a little Wall Ball, which is a game that involves three players and the garage of either my brother in law's house or my own. Actually, here's the deal.

The first person to ten points loses, leaving two players. The last person under ten points is the winner.

Player A throws a tennis ball from anywhere in the driveway and it must hit the house (outside of the garage) first. The garage doors are left open. Any ball fired directly into the garage results in the thrower getting one point. I am the king of this type of unforced error.

Anyway, player A hits the house and the ball bounces back. If the recipient (player B) catches it on the fly, he scores minus one point, which is good. If he catches it on one bounce, he stands pat, and if it bounces twice (or more) he earns one point, which is bad.

Anyway, this is the second redneck game we've invented that costs no money and provides hours of entertainment. It's also got an element of baseball to it in that you can set guys up with previous throws or set them up for future throws by doing certain things. It's a blast.

Except that I have a shoulder problem. I can usually minimize the problem by warming up well, but inevitably I try to throw too hard and it goes numb for a minute or two. I'm pretty sure it's a rotator cuff / nerve thing, but I'm no doctor. I may have to go see one if it gets worse, however.

The other thing is that, since we've started playing, I've had some debilitating pain in my neck. I have been sleeping poorly due to the pain. Last night was the first time the wife actually said "this started when you started playing wall ball."

Hmmmmm.

I plan to take the week off from wall ball to see if it gets better. If it does, I'm going to a doctor because I want it fixed. This wall ball thing might be my destiny.

After the urchin was in bed, we had beers and steaks at Casa De Thomas and they were amazing as usual. Andy, proprietor of Cooley's Pizza, came over and I picked at him, as usual. I feel bad because I might have gone too far. I must remember to call him this week and apologize.

Saturday brought a ton of housework and then my niece Olivia's ballet recital. She's five. It was awfully cute, and Lauren LOVED it. She sat still and quietly for almost an hour and a half, except for when she was supposed to cheer, which she did loudly. I can just see her in that recital in a year or two. I imagine that room will be very dusty.

Saturday afternoon became "let's bitch about having to go the lake to ride on the boat" day. Nick, my 15 year old nephew, is feeling smothered because he always has to do stuff with us and his parents, and we're not as cool as his friends' families, since they let the boys stay out late, play outside, and generally run willy nilly with no supervision.

Nick's crabbiness made me crabby, and I in turn rubbed that off on the others. Luckily, that feeling goes away once you cast off and head for deep water. The lake is quite cathartic and relaxing and I enjoy it a lot.

Lauren LOVES the boat. She also loves when we stop at Pop's and get boiled peanuts. Her dinner Saturday was boiled peanuts and a slim jim. Is that good?

We took a brief tour of P.J.'s 80-foot houseboat, and it was AMAZING!! I am seriously considering selling our house to get one. Wonder if the wife would dig that? God knows Lauren would.

We got home in time to catch the last 100 laps of the Cup race. Kasey Kahne got his first win and the two big Hendrick cars fell out early and finished deep in the field. These two things made me quite happy. I hate Jeff Gordon and I hate Hendrick Motorsports. Let's move on...

I was up at 5am thanks to mother nature and the shit-storm she threw at our neighborhood all night. It rained a ton and forever. It cleared, but started pouring again about the time that I started the grill, which should come as a surprise to no one. We did have lamb kabobs which totally kicked ass. My new favorite spice is saffron.

We wasted time until the Survivor finale came on at 8pm, and that was great tv as well. Ian may be the dumbest person in reality tv history and Kate may be the laziest to ever reach the final. If 100 people got to vote, I STILL believe that the only vote she'd have gotten was Coby's.

This week is a big week as my grandfather and his wife are coming into town for my brother Paul's high school graduation Friday. I cannot fathom that this chunky little tow head of a baby is now about to go to college at Georgia Southern. Shit, have I gotten old.

Today's name suggestions are:

Actually, just check out this link. There's some fun readin' right there...

I think I will not name my child Thor or Flameboy.

That is all...