The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Saturday, August 20, 2005
So one day I went faster than hell in a car....
My Richard Petty Driving Experience at Atlanta Motor Speedway

I have been very fortunate in my life when it comes to sports and seeing and doing some pretty great things, many of which would not have been possible or as enjoyable without my wife.


While attending Braves playoff games throughout the 1990’s, I was lucky enough to meet countless celebrities including Franco Harris, Dan Patrick, Mike Mills of R.E.M., Peter Gammons, Dave Campbell, Ernie Johnson and Pete Van Wieren, Darius Rucker of Hootie and the Blowfish, Lou Pinella, Tony LaRussa, Whitey Ford, Reggie Jackson, Dave Parker, Willie Stargell, especially Mickey Mantle, and many others that I have forgotten because I was too awestruck to remember them all the next day.

I was at Game 7 against the Pirates in 1992 (with my wife), and almost caught Francisco Cabrerra's foul ball right before he got the game-winning hit.

I was at Game 6 against the Indians in 1995 (again with my wife) watching Tom Glavine one-hit the tribe while David Justice put his money where his mouth was and hit the deciding home run in a 1-0 Braves win to clinch Atlanta's first and to this date only World Championship.

I went to Auburn University in the late 1980's (with my now wife), which as many of you may remember was a great time in the SEC in general and at Auburn specifically. The Tigers beat Bama all four years that I was there, won a couple of SEC titles, and got the opportunity to play in the Sugar Bowl twice.

I have been to Augusta National (with my wife) and walked the course following Tiger, Jack and Arnie in 1996, then watched the Wednesday par three tournament from right at the ropes, and saw a hole in one to boot.

I have been to opening day at Wrigley Field (with my wife). I have stood in center field at Fenway Park (with my wife) and sat in the visitor's dugout there as well.

You get the idea. My wife will pretty much let me do anything related to sports. So in 2002, for our 10th anniversary, my wife presented me with one of the best gifts that I have ever gotten: A gift certificate for the Richard Petty Driving Experience Ride-Along program.

I had always talked about wanting to drive a racecar, but ever the wise woman, my wife thought that I should find out if I was chicken from the passenger seat first, rather than from the driver's seat. At least from the passenger seat, you can't embarrass yourself by going the speed limit of your local four-lane road if you get a case of the chickens.

So on September 7th, 2002, the wife and I packed the daughter off to Grandpa and Grandma’s house, and we headed for Atlanta Motor Speedway, and the day was perfect.

I invited a friend and her husband (both non-fanatics) to join us, and we met at the infield of AMS, right next to the media center. And as soon as we got out of the car, I knew it was going to be great. They had a couple of cars right by the media center, and an instructor was explaining to other students in other courses how to get into the car smoothly without getting stuck or hurt. I made a mental note of this procedure for later.

After buying our ticket, we got in line behind about 20 people and began watching. The line forms right behind pit wall at the start finish line. There are about a dozen cars on pit road that the students drive in various courses, and there are two cars dedicated solely to the ride-along program: the number 27 Edelbrock Chevy and a number 8 Budweiser Chevy, and the way it was to work is this: You put on a helmet and driver's suit when they tell you to, get in the car when they tell you to, hold on for three laps, then get out when they tell you to and go away.

I couldn't wait. My friend kept looking at me asking if I was excited or nervous. Hell yes, I was excited and VERY nervous. But why shouldn't I be? Professional driver or not, going 170 mph in the passenger seat is a scary thought, dontcha think?

So we put on our driver suits and helmets, and immediately began sweating. Sure, the suits are hot and the helmets are hot, but at that point, the adrenaline is going like you wouldn't believe.

I then got the go-ahead to cross in front of the wall and get in the car from the passenger side. I made this maneuver like a seasoned vet. Left leg in the window, left butt cheek on the window ledge, right leg in the window, drop your ass down while leaning back, and your in there. Then a guy hooks up your five point racing harness, pulls it tight, you and the driver give a thumbs up to a camera guy outside your window, and then you sit.

The driver introduced himself, asked my name, and asked if I had done this before, to which I replied “um…no,” then he said, "what are you looking for out of this?”

I replied, "I want you to scare the piss out of me."

He smiled, said "okay," and hit the starter.

Let me say this about the inside of a stock car. There is a reason that all but a few of the drivers are 5' 6" and 130 pounds. It's damned small in there. I could only see the inside of the car with the top third of my line-of-site. The seats are metal, with only a thin Nomex (fireproof) pad on them, and there is no legroom at all. I am 6'3", and it was all I could do to get somewhat comfortable.

So, after Anthony (my driver) started the car, I think I began grinning. The power and noise are absolutely unreal. Cup cars have between 750 and 850 horsepower, and these things are supposed to have over 600hp. They are throaty and ridiculously loud. Anthony stepped on the gas, and before I knew it, we were hurtling toward the end of pit road where we would need to enter the banking and turn left QUICKLY and head immediately in the other direction.

This was the only time I was truly scared. It makes no sense that a guy can take a car going 120mph plus and sling it up on the banking and just mat the throttle with no problem, but apparently you can. Before I knew it, we were through turns three and four and hurtling toward the green flag. I decided at that point that I should let go of the bar by my left leg so I could say that I hadn't held on the entire time.

The next 90 seconds went by in a flash, but I will never forget the thrill of coming out of turn 2 right next to the backstretch wall, feeling the heat from the exhaust and the dust come back in the window. Also, looking out the driver's window at the people waiting in line as we went under the flag stand and took the checkers was great. It was also a rush when the car stepped out going into turn 1, and Anthony immediately throttled down and pulled down to the apron and basically coasted the car back to the pits.

We came down pit road, but we stopped well short of where everyone else had been getting out of his or her cars. That was when I realized that something had gone wrong with the right rear (either a spring or shock they told me). That scared me a little. But I got over that when I tried to apply in reverse what I had learned about getting in the car to get out of the car. About halfway thru, I was stuck, so I gave up, fell back in the car, and asked the attendee guy how I was supposed to get out. I would tell you, but I am saving that little morsel for next time, so I look as cool getting out as I do getting in.


I will go back. I will ride again. And I will sign up for one of the 8 lap deals where you drive the car. I want to do it. I need to do it. I've got it bad.

If you're interested in going, let me know and I will go with you. They have cool used race tires that you can buy as souvenirs, and their only five bucks. My wife wouldn't let me have one when she was there, but I’m sure that you will...
2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I did the 8 lapper, only I did it at Orlando where the top speed allowed is 125 mph.

I was the only "girl" there, and, like Alice's Restaurant, they all moved away from me on the bench before I drove.

After I drove, they all came back to visit.

Apparently I passed.

It was only my good upbringing that brought that car to the pits after we completed our laps. Had I my way, I would still be out there. I didn't know it could be that good and legal.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Kick ass stuff, 'Mark'. I watched my friend do it at KY. She about pissed herself beforehand from nerves, and about pissed herself afterwards froim adreneline. She can't wait to go again, and I can't wait to either... Once I learn to drive a stick.

by "Miller"