The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Tuesday, January 17, 2006
I offer a pre-emptive ah HA!!
I figure that some of you had to be betting the under on how long it would take for me to stop hitting the treadmill and doing my "road work," such that it is. Well I assure you that today was not the day.

The biggest concern was the little buzzer in my head that reminded me that I'm not supposed to do anything aerobic.

What's aerobic for me, you might ask? Good question. And I had no freaking idea.

I called my dad who walks an hour every morning (unless it's really cold like it was Saturday, and then he cuts it short. The state of Minnesota is hanging it's collective head in shame, Pops).

Anyway, he said that it's 200 minus your age times 85%, but that number seemed awfully low, so we both decided he was wrong.

Except he wasn't.

I got a book with my treadmill about the three heart rate levels that matter:

The fat burning level
The maximum fat burning level
The aerobic level

For my age (two thirds of the way between the 30 and 40 range), the numbers were (roughly):

125 bpm
135 bpm
142 bpm

Since I didn't want to have an "episode" on the treadmill on day two, I decided to be careful and sneak up on the correct heart rate like you would the temperature on your Big Green Egg (LOL).

Oddly enough, I found that I was about dead on last night. It turns out that a six degree incline at 3.2 mph gives me a good steady 135 bpm, so I was safe last night by a smidge and right on the money tonight.

Anyway, tonights effort was an hour and ten minutes including cool down. It was a little tougher than last night, but only because I am still suffering from a good bit of muscle atrophy, and it's especially noticable in the big muscle groups and in the groinal region (hush Ethel).

Anyway, during the rest of my waking day I walked 2.7 miles. Then on the treadmill I hit 3.3 miles, burned 534 calories and 66 carbs. I feel good it actually feels good to do it, although I think I'm most excited about the fact that I basically get one hour and fifteen minutes of uninterrupted X-Box time, which hasn't happened five times in over a year.

Also, the wife joined in and made a jaunty 30-40 minute walk at 3.1 mph, and she's convinced that I was trying to one up her.

No way. That'll happen this summer when I break out the speedo at the pool.

Now I'm thinking I may get up 15 minute earlier than I do now and put 30 minutes in before I shower up for work.

Those of you that know me and have known me for years, read that sentence again. I am actually seriously considering exercising, on PURPOSE, twice a day. Will wonders never cease?

Anyway, it's time for bed. Actually, it's time to watch Molly feed urchin 2.0 and get a little sleep before the 1:30am - 2:30am feeding that I'm responsible for tonight.

Talk to you tomorrow...