The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Tuesday, January 10, 2006
I'm back in full swing...
but I'm not immune to lunacy yet.

Yesterday I started my second full week back at work, and I celebrated it by getting up at 5am and heading to Mayberry (Anderson, SC) for a day of disaster recovery planning, updates, new pc rollouts and other tasks.

The highlight of my day (I guess) was having the fried grouper sammich with fries and slaw from the coach house. It never disappoints, although I was nauseously full afterwards. That meant I was having a peanut butter sammich for dinner, which was fine with me.

I was pretty happy that I didn't get at all tired, even at the point in the afternoon where I was normally tired before surgery. I think I am actually getting fitter too in the process of all of this.

I walked a total of 3.8 miles for work yesterday, so I didn't walk when I got home.

The good news is that we've decided to get a treadmill. All of the hassles of trying to find the time to get out and exercise with two kids and one that's seven weeks old are getting irritating. Plus, if we put it in my office upstairs, we can both use it and it might even help settle urchin 2.0 in the evenings.

Anyway, last night was mom's night out, so I busted it out of Mayberry to get home, but stopped on the way to get an ankle brace for the wife. (More on that later).

I got home about 6:15 last night after a long day and 200 miles in the car, and I was spent. But it was upstairs to change, have a constitutional, and get back down to enjoy what I sell to urchin 1.0 as "Daddy-Daughter night."

Only this would be about the shortest one in history since urchin 2.0 was looking to be fed around 8pm. So that meant a bath for Lauren at a bit after 7pm, dress her and change the urchin and then hit story time hoping that urchin 2.0 didn't melt down, which she did about halfway thru Follow the Monsters.

Now's a good time to explain an awesome phenomenon that happens at my house often. Yesterday, urchin 2.0 slept soundly and was cute and fuzzy all day long. Until the wife started looking for coupons for dinner.

See...it never fails. She can be in a post bottle, post dump coma, and if the wife packs (silently) to leave or if I sit in a chair with food in front of me to eat, regardless of the time or where she is in the house, she starts crying.

Really. Ask my nephew. I told him it was going to happen Sunday afternoon at 2pm when my soup hit the table and my ass hit the chair, and sure enough, it did. The wife was at the Doctor when that happened. (I'll get to it in a minute).

So anyway, Sophia started being agitated and pretty unsettlable around 7:30 and by the time the wife got home, I was about done. By midnight it was beyond irritating and by 1:30am I was done.

See, she gets all wierd and acts hungry so you feed her, but she only takes about an ounce or so, and she does that maybe two or three times in two hours, so then you have no idea when she should actually eat or even be hungry again. It's maddening.

Molly fed her around 1:30am or so and when I left this morning at 5:30am, urchin 2.0 still hadn't stirred, which is a good thing since the wife needed the sleep (and so did I).

It never fails that if I really really really need sleep, she'll have one of "those" days. And it's annoying because it's only happened maybe eight times now out of nearly two months. But man, can she pick the days I'm most vulnerable and punish me like no other.

Now back to the wife at the doctor story.

Saturday, after the post-Christening beer bash was over, we were sort of milling around cleaning and stuff and molly somehow ended up outside with urchin 1.0 in the garage. (It's not relevant, I assure you).

The wife picked up the urchin and was heading inside when she (apparently) misjudged the steps leading into the kitchen, misfired a step or two, fell down on the brick steps and sort of dropped/pushed Lauren up and into the kitchen.

Lauren started crying, so I rushed to her and saw the wife sitting on the ground awkwardly and sort of crying, which is mostly why Lauren was crying, and that kept getting worse. Wife felt bad for making Lauren cry so she cried more, which in turn made Lauren cry more.

Awesome.

However, the wife was worried about her ankle. It was obviously not broken, but it was obviously hurt nonetheless.

I got it iced, elevated and wrapped immediately, and then we discussed the options.

She decided to wait it out and if it was still bad Sunday to see a doctor. It was and she did.

Their hours were noon to 5pm, so at about 12:45 the next day, she heads to the doctor. You know, the one that saved my life, maybe as many as three times.

And she waits.

And waits and waits and waits.

For three hours.

Then, when she's called back and finally sees him, there's a spark of recognition and he says "Molly TMLSB....that's familiar."

And the wife replied "My husband was the bypass guy."

"OHHHH!! That's right. How's he doing?"

Here's another thing that has to be annoying to my wife. She just had a baby and everyone has to ask about me and my deal first.

Everyone.

When she was in recovery for her c-section, every hospital staff member there was talking to me, asking me questions, quizzing me about my deal.

Then at the doctor, the first thing he asks is about me. That has to be getting really annoying.

Anyway he did say that he is still somewhat troubled by my case, wondering and second guessing and asking the "what if I hadn't done what I did despite no indicators suggesting that he needed that and he had died?"

(It must be tough being a doctor some days. They deserve what they make if you ask me. Good or bad, there must be a LOT of introspection).

He then looked at her ankle and said "Now THIS is something I see and treat every day," and he laughed.

Turns out it was a level two ligament sprain on the front of the foot so any movement (like accelerating or braking the car) is most uncomfortable. But I've sort of taught her how to wrap it (the nurse said I had done an excellent job on it Sunday) and I bought her a brace that seems to help. Now she's just in for six months of re-tweaking it before it gets better, if it ever does.

Anyway, that's the story of my Monday (and a little more).

Did you say you wanted to supersize that?