The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Wednesday, January 11, 2006
The Stumbleupon.com blog
A friend of mine that I met on teh internets has introduced me to many cool websites. Places like snopes.com, for example, are VERY handy when dealing with emails from well-meaning friends, family and co-workers who nevertheless need to be corrected.

Ethel also convinced me to use Firefox's Mozilla browser (including the amazing tabbed browsing feature) and my browsing life since then has not been the same.

(If you having tried tabbed browsing, the deal is that instead of having four or five Internet Exploder windows open to see four or five sites, you have one instance of Firefox open and have four or five tabs. MUCH easier browsing and switching back and forth, but I digress...)

But one of my favorite things that she's introduced me to is Stumble Upon. This is a cool site for those times where you are just sitting and wondering if there's more cool stuff out there.

Anyway, register yourself at Stumble Upon, install the product, create your profile, then select your areas of interest. Now you're ready to go.

One cool thing is that you can click "I like it!" or "Not-for-me" at any site, and thus recommend or deter friend and other browsers that read your profile from hitting that site.

I won't regale you with all of the areas of interest I selected, but I will show you a random sampling of what comes up when I click on the magical Stumble button.

Here are today's selections:

The Left Hand - Site with cool stuff for the truly oppressed in our population: southpaws.

The Classic Typewriter Page - Just that. A page about old typewriters.

Loren Ipsum - You learn something new every day.

Who is Xenu? - You will also find crazy shit like this which I immediately add to the "Not-for-me" list.

Postmodern Pets
- If you've got a pet that has everything and you'd like to be able to answer when asked "What decorating style have you chosen for your Shitpoo?", then this is the site for you.

Film Cliches - Again, self explanatory, but a damned funny site just the same. It doesn't all have to be scientific breakthroughs.

What's Up With Henry Earl?
- If you read Fark.com at all, you'll know about Henry Earl. This guy is the Cal Ripken Jr. of public intoxication. Just check out his rap sheet.

Golf Courses Dot Org - They're not all homeruns.

Eric Conveys an Emotion - This is the kind of crap that reminds me how much I love teh internets.

The Hardball Times - It's not what you think. It's about baseball.


Well, I hope this didn't undersell Stumble Upon. Depending on what you select as areas of interest, you will get drastically different (and either more or less entertaining) stuff than I've shown here.

Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.