The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Thursday, March 30, 2006
No surprise here
But the stirring ninja awoke when the "door ajar" pinger went off as I headed into the garage, and she was hysterically crying by the time I hit the button to close the door and leave for work.

The wife and I went to sleep around 11pm and were awakened five times, including the one time to feed urchin 2.0 (which is fine), and now the wife was up for the day at 5:48am on the day she works until 11pm.

So tell me, does anyone have any good ideas on how to keep a child A) asleep and B) in their room?

I'm not in favor of the "reversing the doorknob and locking them in their room" plan, nor am I in favor of beating obedience into them.

So I ask you again, do you have any ideas?
3 Comments:
Blogger Blurmaster General said...
Oxycontin.

First, how old is your child? Are you transitioning from a crib to a bed now? Have you had your baby in your room until this point or are you just ending up with a child in your bed in the morning?

There are lots of good ideas on this, but I really think that time and persistance and patience are really what works best. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but I really think it's your best bet.

Giving in a little in the morning isn't the worst sin, as long as you go to them, honestly. If your child is already in a bed and she wants someone to lay down with and you want to break the cycle of them being in your bed... why not go lay down with them when they need someone. Pretty soon they're going to stop waking up and needing someone and you've already tackled two problems.

If your children need you, be there for them. Just don't be there for them in your room. Make the nurturing place THEIR room. Do all the nurturing there from now on.

When they fall down, start taking them to their bedroom to comfort them.

If you have a reward to give them, give it in their bedroom.

Make it a really great place to be that is associated with comfort and safety.

You should visit my blog. It's all about this stuff.

Blogger carrie said...
this isn't usually first time comment material but I'll tell you what worked: dutch ovens.
if they're climbing into your bed in the middle of the night (thats what I used to do to my parents) the only way to make them never want to do it again is to totally let them crawl under the sheets and then quickly pull them over the kids head and cut the nastiest fart you can muster. and hold him/her there!!! thats the sort of stench that will linger in a childs mind well into their 20's and keep them from ever wanting to sleep with you again :D I know from experience