The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Monday, April 10, 2006
Don't forget to eat your carrots
Today we received an email from human resources regarding the renewal of our medical insurance contract with our carrier. There was quite a bit of curious language, but one sentence in a bullet pointed section stood out when I read it. The section said:

"The table below is the 2006/07 Monthly Medical/Prescription Drug Premium Rate Schedule, and reflects a 25.0% premium increase over the 2005 - 2006 premium. Unfortunately. we were not able to maintain the current rates, but we believe that our carrier offers the best value currently available. These rates will go into effect on May 1, 2006.

Our carrier informs us that our rate increase is the result of the three (3) primary factors:

- There was not a premium increase when we switched to this carrier last year.

- Base line healthcare cost have risen 14% on average for 2006.

- Big Rubber Company had a higher than average premium/loss ratio during 2005."


Now, read those last three items again, and see if you notice anything that might make a guy who had a couple of cardiac procedures a little jumpy.

See, I think everyone was happy for me five months ago, since the biggest impact to them was that I wasn't at work. But now they get an email explaining that their premiums went up 25% in large part due to the fact that we "had a higher than average premium/loss ratio during 2005, and I'm guessing more than one or two are cussing me now.

Nothing like being loved, eh?
1 Comments:
Blogger Blurmaster General said...
Before I had my sex change, I used to have the roast duck with the mango salsa. Now I don't have an appetite, thanks.

Listen Todd, I would certainly pay 25% more for my car insurance with Geico.