The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Monday, May 08, 2006
some photos from the weekend, part 3
I cooked about 60 pounds of pulled pork for bbq this Saturday/Sunday and I took a few pictures, although I won't have finished photos until tonight. I pulled it all and went to take pictures and couldn't find my camera (or any other camera for that matter). Word yesterday was that this was not only my best ever but possibly the best bbq ever consumed by what I consider a very educated palette.

Here's the fixins for the rub I used. Thanks to Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, AL. He's a nine time Memphis in May champion and this run is one to which he attributes at least a part of his success:


Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

Recipe By : Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
------------
1 whole pork shoulder (approximately 16 pounds)
1 bottle Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce (or substitute your favorite BBQ sauce)

Inject pork shoulder evenly with injection solution. Apply a generous amount of rub onto meat. Pat so the rub will adhere. Place in a smoker and cook with indirect heat for 16 hours on 225°F. Serve with sauce on the side or paint shoulder with sauce the last 20 minutes of cooking. When done, the pork should pull off the bones easily. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 195°F.


Here's a picture of the 60 pounds of pork shoulder getting ready to be rubbed and stashed in the fridge for 8 hours. Next time I'll let them sit prepped for 24 hours and I will take pictures too.



Here's a shot of just a few of my pallets of remaining Wicked Good Competition Blend Hardwood Charcoal.


And finally, here's a shot from Friday afternoon on the way home. This woman, in the course of about one mile of driving, passed me at roughly 65 in a 35 by way of crossing the double yellow line in a neighborhood, then she took a right from the left turn lane her car was in when I took this shot.



I hope she had a blowout on the highway.
4 Comments:
Blogger NineCats said...
Wow, you sure do have a lot of charcoal... Now if I could only find someplace that sells that particular brand, I'd be set...

Blogger Taz said...
WTH does her vanity plate mean?

Blogger TMLSB said...
envy my benz. a little more than a vanity plate if you ask me. It's a deadly sin, for heaven's sake.

Blogger Ethel said...
Hee hee. You said pork injection.