The Adventures of TMLSB
I'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Somemthing worth reading, especially since someone else wrote it...

I stumbled upon a blog today called Right on!! Not only was it refreshing to see a blog not hammering neo-cons or bleeding heart liberals, but one promoting personal responsibility. Here is his latest entry about a parent suing myspace.com because her 14 year old daughter was molested by a pervert she met on the website.

(Read first before you freak out. I'm not advocating blaming victims here).

Mom sues MySpace.com

The mother of a 14 year old girl in Austin, Texas is suing Social Internet giant Myspace.com for $30 Million because her 14 year old daughter was molested by a pervert she met on the website.

According to the lawyers representing the family, myspace doesn’t do enough to verify the age of its users nor does it take adequate measures to thwart sexual predators online.

The CSO for Myspace.com had this to say in response to the allegations. “We take aggressive measures to protect our members. We encourage everyone on the Internet to engage in smart web practices and have open family dialogue about how to apply offline lessons in the online world.

Attention parents… you wouldn’t let your child wander around the world all alone talking to anyone who happens to wander their way, why do you think it’s safe for them to surf unrestricted and unmonitored online? I’m getting sick and tired of parents who use the TV and the home PC as a babysitter so they don’t have to take personal responsibility for their kids. Then once the TV or the PC fails them, they go after the services for exorbitant amounts of cash as a “solution” to the problem.

Here’s an easy and FAR less expensive solution… WATCH your kids and know what they’re doing, where they’re going and who they’re talking to. Talk to them every day, find out what they did and who they hang out with. I know it’s tempting, but putting a computer/TV/XBox in their room DOES get them out of your hair… but you’re just asking for problems.

There will always be a computer with internet access in my house, but it will reside in a public common area of the house and usage of said computer will not be without strict rules until I know that my kids understand that Online, is just as dangerous if not more so than Offline and can show me that they understand and respect that fact.

I wonder if the mother of this child had established a code of conduct online for the house, if she would have become a victim. The predator was 19 years old, allowed to exchange phone calls with the 14 year old. The mother even allowed the 19 year old predator to pick the girl up from school, take her to dinner, and a movie and even his apartment where the sexual assault took place.

If I were the judge in this case… it wouldn’t be an issue reaching a conclusion. I would dismiss the case, and declare that due to gross negligence on the part of the parents their daughter was sexually assaulted. Not only that but I would require the parents to pay the court costs for myspace.com for wasting their time.

You want some rules… well I’m fairly partial to Kim Komando’s 10 Commandments for Kids Online.

1. My parents and I will decide when I am allowed to use the computer and the Internet. I promise not to ask or fight for more computer time. I will only do things and visit places that they say I can.

2. I will never tell anyone online or post online that I am home alone. I won’t give out my last name, my home address or telephone number, the name of my school or teachers, where my parents work or their telephone numbers without getting my parents’ permission. I will never give out my friends’ screen names, e-mail addresses, names, addresses and telephone numbers, and I will remind them to keep mine a secret.

3. If anyone online does anything that bothers me, I will tell my parents. I will never use bad language, say bad things about other people, or send mean messages in an e-mail, text or instant message, chat room, blog, or on a Web site. I will tell my parents if someone does that to me. If I use “secret” or “code” words online, I will tell my parents what they mean.

4. When I use instant messaging, e-mail, chat rooms, or Web sites where people put information about themselves, I will never send or post a picture of my family or me. If I set up a blog or an online profile, I will tell my parents where it is and how they can read it.

5. I WILL NEVER, EVER MEET WITH ANYONE I’VE TALKED TO ONLINE WITHOUT FIRST TALKING WITH MY PARENTS.

6. If my parents ask me for my password, I will give it to them. I will NEVER give out my passwords or any of our family’s passwords to anyone, not even my friends or other family members.

7. If I want to download any games, movies, music, or programs, I will ask for permission. I know I must pay for most of these things. If I take them, that is stealing.

8. I will not try to win free things or buy things on the Internet without my parents’ permission. If I get a message that I won something, I will show it to my parents. If I get an e-mail asking for passwords or other secret stuff, I will ask my parents.

9. I will not open any of my parents’ files. I will not change any settings or install any new software without my parents’ permission.

10. I give my parents permission to look on the computer to see where I have gone on the Internet, the e-mail and text messages I have sent and received, or what I do in a chat room. If my parents installed programs that track what I do on the computer or limit where I go online, I promise not to turn those programs off.

See? This woman is suing myspace even though she let them talk on the phone, let a NINETEEN YEAR OLD MAN PICK UP HER 14 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER FOR ONE OR SEVERAL DATES, and even allowed him to take her TO HIS APARTMENT!!!!

Why on earth is MySpace responsible for this?

I mean, I'm the first one to say that MySpace oughta be called pervert alley, but I believe in the old saying "Let the buyer beware." Parents have lost track of what parenting is, and that is taking precautions to protect your children, not waiting for the government to do it for you.

For example, my daughters will never EVER have a computer in their rooms, whether the machines have internet access or not. They will also not have telephones or televisions in their rooms.

Sound prudish? Maybe. But you won't find my name attached to any articles like the one above either.

Parenting is about more than getting one's peter wet. It's about taking the time to teach children right and wrong, to teach them to be responsible and productive citizens, and it's about teaching them be caring and compassionate souls. It's also about teaching them the meaning of taking responsibility for their actions. And the biggest thing to me is that it's about teaching your kids not just to do the right thing when someone's watching them, but to do the right thing when no one's looking.

I feel sorry for the 14 year old girl in this story on many levels. Certainly because she's been victimized. But she wasn't just victimized by the 19 year old. She was victimized by her mother as well.

1 Comments:
Blogger Tiny said...
Bravo to both of you (TMLSB and james). Personal Responsibility is growing further away every day, it would be nice to be able to reverse that trend.